Chinese tourist in France is Europe's first coronavirus death

JEFF PACHOUD / AFP

An 80-year-old Chinese tourist has become the first fatality from coronavirus in Europe.

He was being treated at a hospital in the French capital after developing a lung infection from the COVID-19. 

"This is the first fatality by the coronavirus outside Asia, the first death in Europe," French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn told reporters.

The Chinese national, who was originally from Hubei province, had arrived in France on January 16, along with his daughter, who has been cleared of the infection. 

Of the 12 cases reported in France so far, four have recovered successfully.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs