China's Defence Chief says Huawei not a military company

Roslan RAHMAN / AFP

Chinese Defence Minister has clarified that "Huwaei is not a military company" despite its founder Ren Zhengfei’s previous career in the army.

"Huawei is not a military company. Do not think that because the head of Huawei used to serve in the military, then the company that he built is part of the military," General Wei Fenghe said at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore.

This comes amid growing trade tensions between China and the US, in which the Chinese telecom giant was placed on an "entity list" on grounds of national security. 

General Wei also hinted they are open for trade talks with the US.

"On the trade friction started by the US: if the US wants to talk, we will keep the door open. If they want to fight, we are ready," he said.

Last week, China's commerce ministry said it will release its own list of "unreliable entities".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs