China locks down Wuhan amid virus outbreak threat

Anthony WALLACE / AFP

The Chinese city at the centre of the new coronavirus outbreak has been put under lockdown.

All outbound transport from Wuhan, which has recorded the death of 17 people and nearly 600 confirmed cases, has been suspended.

Large public events have also been cancelled, with residents told not to leave the city.

Cases of the new virus have been detected in Thailand, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and the United States, as health officials work to prevent a global emergency.  

According to reports, the coronavirus strain is believed to have emerged late last year from illegally traded wildlife in Wuhan's animal market.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs