Canadian court blocks request to broadcast Huawei CFO hearing

JEFF VINNICK / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / AFP

A Canadian court has refused to give media the rights to broadcast the extradition hearing of Huawei CFO Meng Wanshou next week.

In the ruling, a senior judge with the British Columbia Supreme Court said she felt the move could compromise Meng's right to a fair trial in the US, if she is extradited.

"Broadcasts would almost inevitably reach the community of the trial, given the high profile of this case in Canada and abroad, the political commentary relating to the case, and the sensationalized nature of some of the media coverage," she said.

A consortium of 13 Canadian and international media outlets had reasoned that there is a significant public interest in the case, and planned to use two discrete cameras for the recording.

Meng was arrested in Vancouver on December 1, 2018, at the request of the US on fraud charges.  

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs