Suspected Brussels gunman dies after being shot by police

AFP

A 45-year-old Tunisian suspected of killing two Swedish football fans in Brussels has died after being shot by police in a cafe on Tuesday, Belgian media said.

The man, who was shot in the chest, died in hospital from his wounds, media said. There was no immediate official confirmation of his death.

Belgian Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden said earlier the wounded man was suspected of being the gunman. She also said she could not rule out that he had had accomplices.

The Belgian capital's mayor Philippe Close told BFM TV: "It seems indeed the suspect has been neutralised."

Two Swedish nationals were shot dead and a third one was wounded in central Brussels on Monday night, in what Prime Minister Alexander De Croo called a brutal terrorist attack.

The suspect fled the scene after the shooting as a football match between Belgium and Sweden was about to start, triggering a massive manhunt and prompting Belgium to raise its terror alert to the highest level.

"The weapon with which the attacks were committed has been found this morning where the man was apprehended in Schaerbeek. That makes the likelihood that the perpetrator has been caught bigger," Verlinden told VRT broadcaster.

"We are checking fingerprints to be 100 per cent sure."

The attacker, who unsuccessfully sought asylum in Belgium in November 2019, was known to police over people smuggling and illegal residence in the country, Justice Minister Vincent Van Quickenborne told a news conference earlier on Tuesday.

The country has raised the security alert status of its capital city to the highest level, with increased police presence, particularly for Swedish people and institutions, and warned the public to be extra vigilant and avoid unnecessary travel.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs