Britain's Sunak, Starmer go head-to-head on the economy in heated debate

AFP

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Labour challenger Keir Starmer went head-to-head on Tuesday over how to boost Britain's economy, with the PM accusing the opposition party of wanting to increase taxes if it wins power on the July 4 election.

Both Sunak, a Conservative, and Starmer stuck to their campaign lines in their first debate just weeks before a general election opinion polls suggest Labour is set to win, with Sunak saying only he had a plan to spur Britain's paltry economic growth and Starmer portraying the Conservatives as presiding over 14 years of economic chaos.

In a heated debate - a recent feature in Britain and one which sees more voters tune into politics - the two leaders battled over how to tackle the cost-of-living crisis, growing waiting lists in the public health service and reducing immigration.

Most of the questions illustrated what many voters are contending with: a cost-of-living crisis with some struggling to pay household bills, long waits for the health service and lower standards in the education system.

Little new was gleaned from their answers, but an opinion poll taken immediately after the debate suggested Sunak had won the contest.

"Keir Starmer is asking you to hand him a blank cheque when he hasn't said what he'll buy with it or how much it's going to cost you," Sunak said in his closing comments. "In uncertain times we simply cannot afford an uncertain prime minister."

Starmer responded saying he would never offer "the gimmicks or unfunded promises that Rishi Sunak does".

"Imagine how you would feel waking up on July 5 to five more years of the Conservatives, five more years of decline and division, the arsonists handed back the matches," he said.

"Now imagine turning the page with a Labour government that rolls up its sleeves and gets on with the job. The choice at this election is clear: more chaos with the Conservatives or the chance to rebuild Britain with a changed Labour Party."

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs