Blast at Indian pharma factory kills at least 15

File picture [for illustration]

At least 15 people were killed in an explosion on Wednesday at a pharmaceuticals manufacturing plant in southern India's Andhra Pradesh state.

"Death toll as of now is 15 and is likely to go up. Nearly 40 people have been injured. Rescue operations under way," District Superintendent of Police M. Deepika told Reuters.

The fire broke out in the afternoon at privately held Escientia Advanced Sciences' 40-acre manufacturing unit that was operational since 2019 in the state's Anakapalli district, according to district collector Vijaya Krishnan.

"The injured have been shifted to nearby hospitals...it appears that there could have been a blast at the chemical reactor," Krishnan's office told Reuters, adding that the blast occurred during lunch time at the unit.

The state government has ordered an inquiry into the incident.

Last year, two people were killed and five others were injured in a similar fire accident that broke out in a solvent reactor at a unit of Sahithi Pharma in the Anakapalli district.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs