Bangladesh sentences seven to death for 2016 cafe attack

Munir UZ ZAMAN / AFP

Seven members of a banned militant group have been handed death sentences in Bangladesh for their role in the 2016 cafe attack that left 22 people dead.

Of the eight people standing on trial - accused of planning and supplying the attackers with weapons - one man was acquitted by the court in Dhaka.

"Charges against them were proved beyond any doubt. The court gave them the highest punishment," public persecutor Golam Sarwar Khan told reporters.

On July 1, 2016, five militants stormed the Holey Artisan cafe, took diners hostage and killed them over 12 hours. Most of the victims were from Japan, Italy and India.

All the attackers were also gunned down by commandoes during a 12-hour standoff.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs