Bahrain reports first death from coronavirus

Mazen Mahdi / AFP

Bahrain has reported its first death from coronavirus, as the total number of infections touched 214.

In a Tweet, the country's health ministry said the deceased woman was a 65-year-old Bahraini citizen who had underlying health conditions.

Many cases in Bahrain were confirmed among citizens evacuated from Iran last week. 

So far Iran has registered 724 deaths and more than 13,900 infections.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia ordered the closure of shopping malls, restaurants, coffee shops and public parks and gardens to stop the spread of coronavirus. 

On Sunday, Lebanon announced the shutting down of private and public institutions for two weeks from March 15.

Beirut’s international airport will be closed from next Wednesday until March 29, while all non-necessary social movements will be banned. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs