Australian students return to school, as death toll reaches 100

Saeed KHAN / AFP

Australia recorded its 100th fatality from COVID-19, as one of its populated states New South Wales (NSW) readies to reopen schools next week.

According to media reports, the 100th fatality was a 93-year-old woman from a care home outside Sydney.

Australia's death toll, however, remains much lower than what's reported in North America, Europe and other parts of Asia. 

Meanwhile, NSW's Premier Gladys Berejiklian's directive to reopen schools comes as the country attempts to restart the economy.

"From now on, we don't ever want to see a situation where all schools are closed," Berejiklian told reporters in Sydney.

In neighbouring Victoria, schools have reopened on a staggered basis, with full-time lessons set to resume early next month.

The country has issued a three-step federal plan to help states and territories to ease out of the two-month shutdown. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs