Australian PM apologises for US holiday after bushfire deaths

Alex Edelman / AFP

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has cut short his holiday in Hawaii after drawing sharp criticism for being away from the country as the wildfire crisis deepens.

"I deeply regret any offence caused to any of the many Australians affected by the terrible bushfires by my taking leave with family at this time," Morrison said in a statement.

In a later interview with a radio station, he explained that the trip had been planned as a surprise for his daughters.

Hundreds of people had gathered outside Morrison's Sydney residence on Thursday to mark their objection.

His return comes after two volunteer firefighters died in a road accident on Thursday, bringing the death toll since the start of October to eight.

More than 700 homes and nearly 3 million acres bushland have been destroyed across three states so far. There are more than 200 fires burning across Australia now, with 70 of them classified as uncontrolled.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs