Australia to screen some flights from China after coronavirus threat

iStock/Chalabala

Australia will begin screening passengers flying in from the Chinese city of Wuhan, as health officials try to stop the spread of the new coronavirus.

Authorities said passengers arriving on the three weekly flights to Sydney from Wuhan will be given an information pamphlet and asked to present themselves if they showed any symptoms. 

So far, Chinese authorities have confirmed more than 250 cases in Wuhan with four cases reported in Thailand, Japan and South Korea.

"You cannot absolutely prevent the spread of disease into the country. The incubation period is probably a week," Brendan Murphy, the chief medical officer for the Australian government, told reporters.

"It's about identifying those with a high risk and making sure those who have a high risk know about it and know how to get medical attention."

The virus - which can pass from person-to-person - has claimed four lives until now.  

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs