Australia tightens security ahead of pro-Palestine protests

FILE PHOTO

Australian authorities said they would deploy more police personnel and tighten security measures ahead of pro-Palestine rallies in Sydney and Melbourne on October 6, warning protesters there would be no tolerance for violence.

Israel's aggression has triggered protests from both Jewish and Palestinian groups across the world, including in Australia, as the government raised concerns that the protests could inflame community tensions and disrupt social harmony.

In Sydney, the Palestine Action Group has dropped its plans to hold a rally on October 7, the first anniversary of Hamas staging the deadliest assault in Israel's history, which sparked Israel's war in Gaza.

The pro-Palestine group will instead proceed with its rally on Sunday after reaching an agreement with police to change the location and route, and not display flags, portraits or symbols of prohibited organisations. It plans to hold a vigil on Monday.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said he considers October 7 to be a solemn day, adding the majority of Australians would not want to see conflict in other parts of the world brought to the country.

"(People) who are thinking of other actions on October 7, think about whether your cause is being advanced or set back," Albanese said during a media briefing.

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns told reporters it would be "hugely insensitive" to hold a vigil in Sydney on Monday and warned there will be an "overwhelming police response" if it turned into a protest rally.

Australia has seen a rise in antisemitic and Islamophobic incidents since the start of the Israel-Gaza war and passed laws last year that banned public displays group symbols.

Protests in Melbourne last weekend saw some participants displaying flags with the symbol of Hezbollah and photos of leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah who was killed in Israeli strikes, prompting authorities to launch an investigation.

Hezbollah, a Lebanese militant group backed by Iran, is a "listed terrorist organisation" in Australia.

Victoria state police said they would conduct more patrols near synagogues in Melbourne over the coming days.

"Patrols will also be bolstered around a planned community event in Melbourne's southeast on Monday," a Victoria Police spokesperson said by email.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs