Australia reinstates COVID quarantine pay amid fresh Omicron wave

AFP / Brook Mitchell

Australia will reinstate support payments for casual workers who have to quarantine due to COVID-19 as a fresh wave of Omicron-driven infections sweeps the country.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Saturday.

Australia is battling a major virus outbreak driven by the highly transmissible new Omicron subvariants, BA.4 and BA.5, with authorities warning it could lead to more people ending up in hospitals and further straining the health system.

"I want to make sure that people aren't left behind, that vulnerable people are looked after," Albanese told reporters after a snap meeting with state leaders.

"No one (should be) faced with the unenviable choice of not being able to isolate properly without losing an income and without being put in a situation that is very difficult."

Albanese said the leave payments, which ended on June 30 and entitled workers to get up to A$750 (AED 1,870) for each seven-day quarantine period, will be restored and extended until September 30.

The extension will cost taxpayers just under A$800 million (approx. AED 2 billion) to be shared equally between the federal and state governments, Albanese said. People can apply from July 20.

As of the end of last year, the government had spent almost A$13 billion (AED 32 billion) on 2.4 million employees in pandemic payments, according to official data, while total federal support since the pandemic began is estimated to be over A$300 billion (AED 748 billion).

Authorities urged people to wear masks indoors and get their booster shots soon as they brace for "millions" of new cases over the coming weeks, with Australia confronting a tough winter amid the co-circulation of both COVID-19 and the flu virus. 

Albanese said that the current wave is likely to peak in August, adding that health officials have likened the infection rate of the new variants to that of measles.

Hospital admissions in several states have already surpassed record levels, with over 4,600 people in hospitals in Australia. Since the pandemic began, Australia has reported about 8.7 million COVID-19 cases and 10,549 deaths, far lower than many countries.

More from International News

  • Thousands in US and Europe protest against Trump, Musk

    Thousands of protesters gathered in Washington, D.C., and across the U.S. on Saturday, part of some 1,200 demonstrations that were expected to form the largest single day of protest against President Donald Trump and his billionaire ally Elon Musk.

  • Two British MPs detained by Israel, British FM says

    Israel has detained two British members of parliament and refused entry to the officials who were visiting as part of a parliamentary delegation, British Foreign Minister David Lammy said in a statement late on Saturday.

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

Blogs