Australia permits home visits, opens beaches as coronavirus lockdown eases

Saeed KHAN / AFP

Australian cities began easing lockdown restrictions as the country recorded a drop in community transmission of COVID-19, with only one new case reported in the last 24 hours.

"We are winning but we have not won yet," Health Minister Greg Hunt stressed.

Australia, which imposed an early shutdown of borders and businesses, has managed to reduce the number of cases and deaths.

Coronavirus testing centres have been set up across the country, with the government urging people to undergo tests regardless of whether they have symptoms.

A month after being closed for violations on social distancing rules, Bondi Beach and two neighbouring beaches in Sydney were reopened to local residents on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, New South Wales (NSW) state announced easing of stay-at-home rules.

"Two adults will be able to go and visit anybody else in their home on the basis of care, on the basis of reducing socialisation and everybody's mental health," said NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, with children allowed to accompany adults on house visits.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs