At least 73 soldiers killed in Niger army base attack

MICHELE CATTANI / AFP

An attack on a military base in western Niger has left more than 70 soldiers dead and another 12 more wounded.

Officials said the three-hour assault that took place late Tuesday was carried out by "heavily armed terrorists estimated to number many hundreds".

As many as 57 of the attackers had been killed, but there's still no clarity on which terror group they belonged to.

President Mahamadou Issoufou, who has cut short a trip to Egypt, will chair a meeting of the National Security Council on Thursday. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs