Blast at mosque in Pakistan's Peshawar kills at least 56

AFP

A suicide bombing at a mosque during Friday prayers in the northwestern Pakistani city of Peshawar has killed at least 56 people and injured nearly 200, police and hospital officials said.

Two armed men who arrived near the mosque on a motorcycle opened fire when they were stopped by police, before one of them forced his way into a crowded hall and detonated his suicide vest, according to senior police official Ijaz Khan.

The fate of the second attacker remains unclear and authorities were still determining whether he also entered the mosque before the blast, the official said.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

It comes as the Australian cricket team are touring Pakistan for the first time in over two decades and are staying in Islamabad, 140 km from Peshawar.

Following the blast, the Australian cricket coach Andrew McDonald said the team touring Pakistan will be guided by security experts.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs