At least 26 injured as 6.4-magnitude quake jolts Philippines

AFP

At least 26 people have been wounded after a 6.4- magnitude earthquake struck Abra in the northern part of the Philippines.

Houses and public infrastructure were also damaged after the strong quake struck on Tuesday.

Abra Governor Dominic Valera has suspended classes in both public and private schools, and work in all government offices on Wednesday.

Taking to his official Twitter account, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said, "As aftershocks continue, we remain in coordination with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for the inspection of roads and buildings, Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) for relief, Department of Energy (DOE) for outages and Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) for monitoring.

"There is enough food and shelter for the survivors of the recent earthquake in Abra."

Marcos also called on the public to stay safe and vigilant.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs