Algeria to allow Morocco flights after quake despite bad ties

Shutterstock

Morocco's deadly earthquake prompted Algeria, which cut ties with its neighbour two years ago, to put aside the countries' bad relations and open its air space to aid flights.

The border between Algeria and Morocco, the most powerful countries in the region, has been closed since 1994 and Algiers closed its air space to Morocco and suspended diplomatic relations in 2021, accusing Rabat of "hostile acts".

It accused Morocco of using spyware against it, supporting a separatist group and failing in bilateral commitments including over the disputed territory of Western Sahara, allegations that Morocco rejected as "absurd".

Algeria was slower to offer condolences than many other countries in North Africa and Europe on Saturday but the Foreign Ministry said it was "following with great sorrow and sadness" the aftermath of the earthquake.

Algeria's presidency said later it would open its airspace for humanitarian or medical flights.

The ministry said it was ready to respond to any Moroccan request for aid. During deadly wildfires in Algeria during each of the past three summers, Morocco has made offers of aid that Algiers has publicly ignored.

Despite the shaky relations between governments, the two countries, sharing a long border stretching from the Mediterranean to the Sahara, share deep historical and cultural ties, so many ordinary Algerians and Moroccans enjoy better personal relations.

Many Algerians voiced solidarity with Morocco on social media, some saying they hoped the bad political ties would not get in the way of helping their neighbour.

"Despite the zero diplomatic ties between our two countries, we as Algerians have a moral obligation to help the Moroccans because they are brothers and neighbors," Djalal Hamdaoui, a retired teacher, said by phone.

Abdelkader Bengrina, head of the Islamist party Harakat Al Bina, said in a statement: "We urge the government to go beyond the differences and provide all help to the brotherly people of Morocco."

Friday night's earthquake, Morocco's deadliest since 1960 with more than 1,000 confirmed dead by Saturday afternoon, brought expressions of condolences from around the world and offers of aid.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs