Pakistan Airlines stake sale attracts sole bid

File picture

The final bidding process for the privatisation of Pakistan International Airlines attracted just one bid of 10 billion Pakistani rupees ($36 million) for a 60% stake in the national flag carrier, the Privatisation Ministry said on Thursday.

The government had pre-qualified six groups in June, but only real-estate development company Blue World City participated in the bidding process, placing a bid that is below the government-set minimum price of 85 billion Pakistani rupees.

Cash-strapped Pakistan was looking to offload a 51-100% stake in debt-ridden PIA to raise funds and reform state-owned enterprises as envisaged under a $7 billion International Monetary Fund programme.

The Privatisation Commission said it had asked the bidder to match the minimum bid.

Blue World City Chairman Saad Nazir however stood by its bid. "We wish the government all the best if they don’t want to accept our bid," he said.

Officials from three groups that chose not to bid told Reuters on condition of anonymity that there were concerns about the government's ability to stand by agreements made for the flag carrier in the long term.

One executive voiced concern about policy continuity once a new government came in. The government of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is reliant on a coalition of disparate political parties.

The disposal of PIA is a step former governments have steered away from, as it has been highly unpopular given the number of layoffs that would likely result from it.

Underpinning concerns over policy continuity and honouring contracts was the government's termination of power purchase contracts with five private companies earlier this month, and the process of re-negotiating other sovereign guaranteed pacts.

Changes in Pakistan's decade-old agreements with private power projects to address chronic electricity shortages "raises the risk of investing and doing business in Pakistan, even in the presence of sovereign contracts as well as guarantees," said Sakib Sherani, an economist at Macro Economic Insights.

Commenting on the power contract renegotiations last month, the head of Pakistan's power ministry said the government had always maintained contractual obligations to investors, both foreign and local, and that contract revisions would be by "mutual consent".

Other concerns raised by potential bidders for the PIA stake included inconsistent government communication, unattractive terms and taxes on the sector, and the flag carrier's legacy issues and reputation.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

Blogs