No jail but court slaps gag order on FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried

File picture

US District Judge, Lewis Kaplan, has imposed stricter bail conditions on Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder of FTX cryptocurrency exchange, following allegations of witness tampering.

The judge restricted Bankman-Fried's ability to communicate publicly and warned that he may face detention before his trial for the collapse of his cryptocurrency exchange.

During a hearing at the Manhattan federal court, prosecutors urged Judge Kaplan to detain Bankman-Fried immediately, claiming that he had "crossed a line" by sharing personal writings of his former romantic partner, Caroline Ellison, with a reporter. This act was considered a second instance of witness tampering, according to the prosecution.

As a response to the concerns raised by prosecutors, Kaplan granted a "gag order" previously requested by the prosecution for the 31-year-old cryptocurrency entrepreneur. Both parties were given until August 3 to present their arguments on whether or not Bankman-Fried should be jailed before his trial.

"I'm very mindful of the government's interest in this issue, which I take seriously," Judge Kaplan asserted. "Mr. Bankman-Fried, you'd better take it seriously too."

Bankman-Fried, represented by his lawyer Mark Cohen, argued that his communications with journalists were an attempt to protect his reputation. Cohen claimed that preparing for the upcoming trial, scheduled for October 2, would become "almost impossible" if Bankman-Fried were to be detained.

Since his extradition from the Bahamas in December, where he was arrested and where FTX was based, Bankman-Fried has been largely confined to his parents' residence in Palo Alto, California.

The former billionaire has pleaded not guilty to charges of embezzling billions of dollars from FTX customer funds, allegedly to cover losses at his crypto hedge fund, Alameda Research. Prosecutors highlighted that Bankman-Fried had engaged in more than 1,000 phone calls with journalists.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

Blogs