Elon Musk poll shows majority want him to step down as Twitter chief

Twitter users voted in a poll for Elon Musk to step down as chief executive of the social media platform, in a backlash against the billionaire less than two months after he took over.

About 57.5 per cent votes were for "Yes", while 42.5 per cent were against the idea of Musk stepping down as the head of Twitter, according to the poll the billionaire launched on Sunday evening. Over 17.5 million people voted.

Musk said on Sunday he would abide by the results of the poll, but did not give details on when he would step down if results said he should.

Shares of Tesla Inc, the electric-car maker Musk heads, were up about 3 per cent at $154.70 in premarket trading.

The poll is the latest twist in Musk's chaotic reign as Twitter CEO since October, which includes rapid firings of top management and thousands of employees, seesawing on how much to charge for Twitter's subscription service Twitter Blue, and reinstating banned accounts, including that of former US President Donald Trump.

Tesla investors have been concerned Musk has been spreading himself too thin following the Twitter deal. Musk also backs medical device company Neuralink and heads rocket company SpaceX.

Tesla shares have already lost nearly 60 per cent of their value this year, as, like other carmakers, it battles supply chain issues and increasing competition in the EV space.

"If he (Musk) does decide to step down, that could inject Tesla shares with a temporary shot of optimism, amid hopes he might finally pay the carmaker the attention it needs," Susannah Streeter, an investment and market analyst with Hargreaves Lansdown, said.

Tesla is ranked among one of the top automakers in the world, but recent logistical challenges, pandemic-related lockdowns in China, higher borrowing costs and a dull outlook for global economic growth have raised concerns.

Last month, Musk told a Delaware court that he would reduce his time at Twitter and eventually find a new leader to run the social media company.

"THERE IS NO SUCCESSOR"

Replying to one Twitter user's comment on a possible change in CEO, Musk said on Sunday "There is no successor".

"No one wants the job who can actually keep Twitter alive."

Musk, who was seen at the FIFA World Cup final in Qatar on Sunday, has not yet responded to the results of Monday's poll. Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

"Elon", "CEO of Twitter", "vote Yes" and "vote No" were among the trending topics on the social media platform on Monday.

The poll follows Twitter's Sunday policy update, which prohibited accounts created solely for the purpose of promoting other social media firms and content that contains links or usernames for rival platforms.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

Blogs