Jack Dorsey believes 'it all went south' after Musk took over Twitter

File picture

Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, has slammed new owner, billionaire Elon Musk, for the way he's running the social media platform after he took over for a staggering $44 billion last year.

When asked by a user on his new social media platform BlueSky if he thought Musk was the best leader for Twitter, Dorsey replied "no".

"Nor do I think he acted right after realising his timing [of the purchase] was bad. Nor do I think the board should have forced the sale. It all went south," Dorsey elaborated.

"But it happened and all we can do now is build something to avoid that ever happening again," he said.

Speaking on the invitation-only platform, Dorsey criticised Musk's payment system, saying, "Payment as proof of human is a trap, and I'm not aligned with that at all. The payment systems being used for that proof exclude millions if not billions of people." However, official agencies and notable users with a large number of followers have maintained their blue checkmarks, or have been given gray ones that signify a government agency or official.

While Dorsey had previously tweeted his admiration for Musk's mission to extend the light of consciousness, he apologised last November for growing Twitter "too quickly".

In his apology, he said that he owned the responsibility for why everyone was in the difficult situation and that he apologised for it.

Dorsey also highlighted that Twitter "would have never survived as a public company" and posed a question: "Would you rather have had it owned by hedge funds and Wall Street activists? That was the only alternative."

After taking over, Musk laid off thousands of employees, claiming the company was losing $4 million a day. He also introduced a controversial payment system that charged Twitter users $8 a month to receive a "blue check," effectively ending the platform's previous verification system.

More from Business News

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

Blogs