Elon Musk's 2018 tweet on Tesla union campaign illegal

AFP / John Thys

A US appeals court said on Friday that Tesla Inc CEO Elon Musk violated federal labour law by tweeting that employees of the electric vehicle maker would lose stock options if they joined a union.

The New Orleans-based 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a decision by the US National Labor Relations Board that said the 2018 tweet amounted to an unlawful threat that could discourage unionising and ordered Musk to delete it.

Amid an organising campaign at Tesla's Fremont, California, plant by the United Auto Workers (UAW) union, Musk tweeted: "Nothing stopping Tesla team at our car plant from the voting union ... But why pay union dues & give up stock options for nothing?"

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

UAW President Shawn Fain applauded the decision in a statement but said it also highlights "our broken US labour law."

"Here is a company that clearly broke the law, and yet it is several years down the road before these workers have achieved a modicum of justice," Fain said.

Musk's prolific use of Twitter has landed him in legal trouble before. Tesla in February defeated a lawsuit from investors over another Musk tweet from 2018 saying funding was secured to take the company private, and a British cave explorer unsuccessfully sued Musk for calling him a "pedo guy" on Twitter.

Musk purchased Twitter last year for $44 billion (AED 162 billion).

In Friday's case, Tesla had argued that the tweet about unionising was not a threat and merely reflected that union workers at other auto companies did not receive stock options.

But a three-judge panel of the 5th Circuit disagreed.

"Substantial evidence supports the NLRB's conclusion that the tweet is an implied threat to end stock options as retaliation for unionisation," the 5th Circuit panel wrote.

In a separate case last year, the labour board said Tesla violated labour law by prohibiting workers at the Fremont plant from wearing shirts supporting the union campaign. The company is appealing that decision.

More from Business News

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

Blogs