Dubai SME members get financial relief with new exemption

File photo (For illustration)

Emirati members of the Dubai Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) will be granted an extension on the license fee exemption.

The exemption is expected to ease financial pressures on SME owners, according to a Dubai Media Office report.

“The decision is part of a series of initiatives aimed at supporting entrepreneurs and their startups to fully tide over the challenges brought by the global outbreak of COVID-19 and focus on their growth without cash flow concerns,” conveyed the statement.

The amendment was issued under the directives of His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Crown Prince and Chairman of The Executive Council.

Previously, the fee exemption period was five years, which has now been extended to seven years.

The extension of fee exemption granted now applies to registered members of Dubai SME who have not completed the five-year period stipulated in Article No. (10) of Law No. (23) 2009. New members are not eligible for this extension.

“Emirati entrepreneurs should be particularly supported and motivated since they are critical to ensuring the sustainability of the labour market and building a competitive national cadre, a key target emphasised once again by the leadership in the ‘Projects of the 50’,” said Helal Saeed Al
Marri, Director General of Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism.

The licensing fee applicable on SMEs was AED 1,000 for the first three years from the issuance of the licence, and AED 2,000 for the fourth and fifth years.

The five-year exemption granted earlier contributed to reducing financial burdens faced by startups, which in turn enabled them to continue
playing an active role in economic development in Dubai and the UAE.

In Dubai, SMEs constitute nearly 95% of all companies, employing 42 per cent of all workforce in the emirate and contributing to around 40 per cent of Dubai’s GDP.

More from Business News

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

Blogs