Adidas plans more Yeezy stock sales in August

AFP

Adidas will sell more of its stocked-up Yeezy products in August, it said on Friday, and reiterated a pledge to donate part of the proceeds to groups fighting discrimination and hate.

Adidas had stopped selling Yeezy shoes and abandoned its collaboration with rapper Ye after the artist, formerly known as Kanye West, made a series of antisemitic comments.

The fate of a large stock of unsold shoes from the once highly profitable Yeezy line has weighed on the company's sales, but the prospect of offloading them has narrowed its projected losses for the year.

"Today Adidas announced a further release of YEEZY inventory with a range of existing products being available in phases throughout the month of August across the world," the company said in a statement.

"As previously communicated, Adidas will donate a significant amount to selected organisations working to combat discrimination and hate, including racism and antisemitism."

Adidas said it was supporting the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and the Philonise & Keeta Floyd Institute for Social Change, and also announced its support for Robert Kraft’s Foundation to Combat Antisemitism (FCAS).

The company did not specify how much it would donate.

As with a previous batch of stock released in May, the second round in August would feature products from 2022, the statement said.

"The range available will include some of the most popular existing designs including the YEEZY BOOST 350 V2, 500 and 700 as well as the YEEZY SLIDE and FOAM RNR," it said.

Unexpectedly strong sales of Yeezy shoes left over from the Ye collaboration will likely help reduce the company's operating losses this year.

Adidas this week said the potential impact of a Yeezy stock write-off was now €400 million, down from €500 million expected previously.

The company did not say exactly how much of its estimated €1.2 billion in Yeezy stock it had sold but analysts estimate that around 15 per cent of it has been liquidated.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

Blogs